SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

augmented reality polar align

starstalker

for a while i have been using "polar align" on the i phone to help me polar align, it basically gives u a reticle and shows where Polaris is on that reticule at that time of night and from your position, u then set your alignment scope reticule to the position shown and then use alt/az to polar align, it seems to work fine.

now there is a second version out that allows you to use the camera on the i phone and then overlays the reticule over the image form the polar scope to give even more accuracy. there is a draw back tho, u have to build a home made bracket to fit the iphone to the polar scope. heres a link to the guy who wrote the app's website George's Astronomical Observations i think im gonna give him a shout and get details on how to make the bracket.polar alignment should be an absolute doddle then!

....so the iphone will take the place of a finderscope?

didnt the finderscope work well enough? :)

Fair point, but in order to use the date/time circle on the mount you either have to take the telescope off the mount or you often end up with the telescope in a pretty awkward, head-banging position.

I just find the iPhone removes that hassle from the procedure.

Tim.

Archived