Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Salisbury Dark Skies: a new hope

G4YVM

I wrote to our local council here in Salisbury about possible turning off of lights in the wee small hours.

I was dumbstruck when I got this reply: I have hope!

Dear Mr Perry,

I have been forwarded your e-mail by Salisbury City Council.

I entirely agree. I think we should switch off streetlights whenever and wherever possible.

We have a scheme running in Wiltshire to do this with funding to put units in place which can be set and controlled centrally and which will turn lights off between 12pm and 5am.

Sadly it has been very difficult to find roads in Salisbury willing to take part. We have one street which is going to have the units fitted sometime in April from the latest information I have. Aside from that we could not find any other roads where people were willing to have the lights turned off. I asked all the Wiltshire Councillors, Salisbury City Councillors and local groups including Agenda 21 and none of us could come up with any location. The fear of crime (and it has to be fear of crime as actual crime in Salisbury is pretty low) is too great.

If you have any suggestions it would be great to hear them.

Yours sincerely,

Richard Clewer

Wiltshire Councillor St Paul's Ward

Portfolio holder for Youth and Skills

tel 07980 756424

01794 884559

website Richard Clewer, Salisbury St Pauls :: Welcome

Naturally I have invited the councillor to bring the scheme to my street! Other Salisbury users should also email Richard and offer full support. This is quite forward looking of Salisbury I think.

D

I think that's wonderful.

A local council member with some common sense.... will wonders never cease!

Still - you'd never find a fellow like that in local gov't over here! :)

Best of luck on your grass roots effort!

Dan

Archived