NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ethos 21 query

Thinking of "breaking the bank" and buying an E21 as my "low power" EP for use under LP urban skies.

Would this hefty (36oz) EP be suitable, in terms of size, weight, balance issues etc, to use with a WO Megrez 90 on a Giro 3 mount with (4.5kg) counterweight on a Berlebach UNI28 tripod, or would it be more practical (and cheaper !) to consider "say" a 24 or 27 Pan ?

Cheers !

Is there a local astro society where you might be able to see one of these 'grenade' eyepieces? A 31 T5 nagler, 28 UWAN etc. if nobody has the big Ethos? While the big ultrawides are awfully impressive visually, they're big, heavy and some people find themselves more comfortable with smaller eyepieces - me included, really. And, as you've noted, there can be focuser and/or balance issues too. Be a shame to spend that much cash to discover they're not for you, and pictures don't do justice to quite how big some of these eyepieces are.

The 24mm Panoptic is small, relatively light, 1.25"-format and a terrific eyepiece in a small refractor - you'd be unlikely to be disappointed. Really very different to the Ethos on many levels though.

I have a Nagler 31 which is around the same weight (32oz I think). I use it with a Vixen 102mm ED which is either mounted on an AZ-4 or a Giro-type mount. The combo works fine. The AZ-4 is easier because there is enough friction in the altitude axis to counteract the weight. On the Giro-type mount I need to slide the scope forward a bit.

The views are wonderful on a dark night - the whole of the Veil nebula being visible in the same FoV with an O-III filter :)

"The 24mm Panoptic is small, relatively light, 1.25"-format and a terrific eyepiece in a small refractor - you'd be unlikely to be disappointed."

Thanks for the reply. Would a 24 or 27 Pan also work ok with a 2.5x Barlow and, if so, would a TV "interface" be required ?

Cheers !

The 24mm Pan barlows very well, never owned a 27mm but I imagine it's the same. Don't need any particular interface for it.

Don't let me put you off the Ethos, it sounds a superb eyepiece - all i'm suggesting is seeing something of equivalent size/weight before buying. John's quite right about the views through a big ultrawide

"The 24mm Panoptic is small, relatively light, 1.25"-format and a terrific eyepiece in a small refractor - you'd be unlikely to be disappointed. Really very different to the Ethos on many levels though".

Woul be interested to know, on what (specific) "levels" is it different ?

Many thanks.

Archived