Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

scope mod for camera use? (1145p skywatcher)

Trident

Hi as ever im asking questions of the knowledge people here..

I have a 1145p skywatcher and just bought a samsung sbc-2000 (sdc435), was hoping to use the camera on the scope for wide field images e.g m42 m31. However the scope wont focus the camera :o basically the focuser cant go in to the scope enough. (Have thought about modding the camera but is not practical as it will work on another scope)

Can anyone tell me has this or other scopes been modded to achieve focus with a camera? i understand the primary mirror is moved to achieve this?

many thanks

I've done it to my 4.5-inch f/8 Celestron reflector. Unscrew the three screws holding the mirror cell to the tube and withdraw the mirror cell. Cut off about an inch off the tube. Make new holes for the screws and put the mirror cell back in. When I did it I was prepared for the possibility that I might ruin the scope. The tricky bit was putting the mirror cell back in as the newly-cut edge of the tube had distorted a bit. But it's so snug now I never bothered with putting the screws back in so one day the mirror cell might drop off!

Archived