NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Calling CG5 GT imagers

I started guiding a year ago and all was fine until about September/October. I think my problem was two fold and I've cured the first one (which I think was damp in the guide camera, but in any case have bought a new guide camera now QHY5.

My problem is failure in DEC calibration in PHD, once I manage to get past this stage it seems to guide well. But some nights it will take about 6 goes and then start OK. Sometimes it will not calibrate at all in one part of the sky. But this is not consistent. One night it will not calibrate say in M1 direction, but will for M81 and another night it could be the other way around.

I have a pier so the polar alignment is not changing between sessions and I have done a drift alignment.

I have changed cables, guide camera, and even tried on a different CG5 Mount (not on a pier) and get the same problem.

I am reaching the end of my tether and am wondering whether any other CG5 GT owners have any problems.

This is my settings (N.B. the MAX Dec duration is currently at 400, but I started with it at 150 and gradually moved it up to see if that would make any difference).

Thanks for any help

Carole

post-18809-133877545774_thumb.jpg

The "calibration step" looks a bit small to me. I had to increase this parameter for guiding with my 9x50. (~175mm focal length)

Someone with a ST80 could recommend a good setting for your scope, but I'm guessing it should be higher than 500.

There are also some settings on the hand controller that might need adjustment. I set my DEC guiding adjustment to 99%. I'm guiding with a cheap HC cable, not ST4, and I'm not sure how this would affect things. I look forward to hearing answers from people more experienced with the CG5.

Doug

Archived