Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help trying to capture Saturn

Hi everyone,

Last night I tried (albeit very unsuccessfully) to capture Saturn using a webcam on my 6 inch SW 150PL. I could center (more-or-less) Saturn in the view finder using a 10mm EP but then when I swapped the EP for the web cam I couldn't see Saturn at all on the screen. I ended up putting the EP back in, trying to re-center the view and trying again ... several times but to no avail :o

I am using a motorized RA axis but I'm still learning how to use all the controls. Would increasing the speed to x4 etc help to 'find' Saturn on the screen?

What sort of settings do people use to capture Saturn using a web cam?

Are there any other tips that anyone could suggest.

Many thanks for your help

Pete

Hi Pete, I too have recently started to try and capture Saturn using a webcam. I experienced the same problem as you - getting Saturn in view using the eye piece and not seeing it when i insert the webcam. The problem for me was just that while it was in focus using the eyepiece, it was totally out of focus when i inserted the webcam. So try and alter your focus as even though the image is centered, it may not be visible on your screen.

Hi, I have same scope and had similar difficulties. However if you centre Saturn with 10mm EP get motor running, normal speed. Then swap to webcam and focus.

I find that I focus all the way in then very very slowly focus out. I tend to have capture software on 640x480 which helps. Turn gain up until focused then play with settings.

I have just made a DIY remote focuser which helps a lot with fine adjustments. See Here

Also this is the sort of image I have got so far HERE

HTH and Good Luck

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'll try the next time the sky is clear.

JKB - great image. When I use my scope, all I see is a bright white fuzzy ball with rings. Don't see any surface details at all. What sort of settings (gain, exposure etc) did you use in your web cam?

Cheers

Pete

Archived