Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Breezy moon - 11 Mar 11

m_j_lyons

I couldn't pass up getting out under the stars and moon after nearly a week of clouds. Spent a good bit of time hunting galaxies in my LP backyard and gave up...I could tell they were there but just. I need to shoot out the street lamps behind my house.

Anyway - then I pulled out my webcam and decided to do a run on the moon using SharpCap for the first time. I have to start saying I really like SharpCap - you can tell it was designed for webcam astrophotography. The night was very gusty so the scope and camera were moving all over and a stable capture was nearly impossible...but in the end I was able to pull this shot together - focused on Montes Caucaus and leads into Montes Apennins.

Craters Euduxus and Aristoteles are easily visible north of Mare Serenitatis. To the west Crater Cassini is visible along with Craters Aristillus and Autolycus just off the terminator line.

The light was right to catch Vallis Alpes north of Crater Cassini. Also caught an interesting bright spot N of Aristillus and W of Cassini - appears to be the peak of Mons Piton standing tall above the surface.

With conditions were more stable to get some better captures but beggars can't be choosers.

Cheers,

post-24678-133877544457_thumb.jpg

Archived