NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dob Base - Phil

Kain

I have noticed my Dob base now is starting to spin around far to easily now, so you only have to breathe heavy on it and it moves.

I remember Phil doing something to his with milk carton tops, but I can't remember what it was, just wondering if this is what I have to do to mine?

Cheers

Kain

Couple of options Kain.

Make some washers out of milk carton plastic and put one between each rubbing surface

on the Azimuth pin. Then tighten up the centre nut/bolt till it suits.

You might invest in a better locking nut as they slowly loosen.

If it really is too loose for you then remove the roller assembly all together and replace

with three teflon pads spaced at 120 degrees to give a much stiffer but still smooth movement :D

Make some washers out of milk carton plastic and put one between each rubbing surface

on the Azimuth pin. Then tighten up the centre nut/bolt till it suits.

You might invest in a better locking nut as they slowly loosen.

I've just replaced the centre nut and bolt on mine - the original was a little too short and the locking nut could not really get a purchase. I've also done the washer thing but I used an old LP with the centre hole bored out a bit. This seems to have done the trick for now. I've got a packet of self adhesive felt pads on standby in case I need to introduce a bit more friction.

John

Archived