SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What should I expect of Saturn?

KE400

Having viewed Saturn twice this week, I'm wondering if I'm expecting to see too much. I think I have a decent'ish set of EP's so far but cannot get anything more in focus than a very small view of the planet. If I try using my Barlows with anything less than my 26mm Plossl, I can't get any focus.

Am I expecting too much as in size of view or is it my scope/EP's/conditions???

I keep looking at great pics that people are posting on here which are way bigger and in more detail than my view at the EP. I understand that cameras pick up more detail and use long exposures etc to achieve these great results and don't expect to see the same as these pics but not sure of what exactly I should expect to see at my EP.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.....:(

Hi Kev, with your scope and ep's you should make out Saturn easily enough, perhaps you might leave it till its a bit higher in the sky, that will help but all the same you should still be able to observe it. The Meade has a fl of 1524mm so with say a 9mm ep it would give you a power of around 170x plenty enough to see it for sure. :)

As for detail you should notice some faint light brown and yellowish tones, and of course the rings will show well.

I would make sure I had the scope aligned to the starfinder or rdf and when focusing take my time so as not to focus through it which can sometimes happen if you are a bit too quick.

Hope that may help :(

Alan

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to take a good look when it's higher in the sky and will hopefully get more detail etc. I must admit to being slightly impatient when focussing and will take my time more.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to take a good look when it's higher in the sky and will hopefully get more detail etc. I must admit to being slightly impatient when focussing and will take my time more.

Cheers

let us all know how you get on :(

I am sure you will see it and am positive you will know you have :o

Archived