NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommend me a cooled CCD please

Zakalwe

Budget about £900.

What would you recommend for galaxy and nebula imaging. Am using an Equinox Pro 80mm F6.25 frac with a field flattener. I am choosing between buying a DSLR and modding it (£300-500) but am thinking that I will get better performance from a cooled CCD (if nothing, then I will get more imaging time as I can use the same darks from a CCD camera across different sessions, as opposed to taking darks every session with an uncooled DSLR).

Atik320e is in this sort of budget. QHY8L?

Don' know enough about it to recommend a particular camera, but the comments I received when considering a similar option were:

* ccd camera does not require 'gap' between exposures to cool down electronics like dslr

* darks would be less of an issue because it is cooled, and for short exposures may not be required at all

* ccd is 16-bit as compared with dslr 12-bit, so better sensitivity (not the right word - not necessarily picking up fainter things, but more ability to differentiate between things of close brightness - if that makes sense)

OSC or Mono ?... if its mono dont forget to budget for LRGB and/or Narrowband filters and a filter wheel....

Billy...

Good point Billy. :(

OSC is the answer. My imaging time is scarce enough, and at this stage I do not have access to clear enough skies to have time to do LRGB imaging.

Steve J

If we are talking OSC then the QHY8 is a good bet

Its not actually quicker to take images using OSC, you just get a colour image sooner.

IMO mono is much more versatile and performs better under polluted skies !

Whoops... I forgot about the decreased sensitivity of OSC.:(

My skies are fairly badly polluted.....should I be looking to get into narrowband imaging?

Archived