NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion 24mm or Meade 5000 26mm

I am trying to decide which of the above EP,S would be the better choice to replace a 26mm Meade 4000 series plossl. The Meade 5000 is cheaper but would stretch to the Hyperion if convinced it was worth it. It will be used in an f10 refractor and an 8'' f6 Dob.

Cheers

Damo

Hi John, thanks for responding. I suppose the main things i am looking for are wider field of view and more eye relief. An increase in sharpness and contrast over the 4000 series meade would be an added bonus. The Japanese 4000 series i am replacing does give nice views in both scopes but i am learning that comfort at the eyepiece is an important factor also. I have also looked at the WO swan series. Basically looking for the best 1.25" wide angle EP i can get with a budget of £100.

Damo

keen to see the respone from this thread. I myself am looking at wide field eye pieces at the moment. I'm looking at the Skywatcher AeroED 30mm. apparently it has great correction in fast scopes like your dob.

its a little more expensive mind.

Th Baader Hyperions offer both comfortable eye relief and a wide field of view (68 degrees). They would work pretty well in your scope which I believe is an F/6, a bit better than the SWAN or the Meade 5000 I think.

You can buy them used for around £65-£70 if you don't want to go for a new one.

The Aero ED is nice but it's 2" format - I think the OP want's to stay 1.25" ?.

I have looked at the Aero and also the Panaview but would need to add a 2" diagonal into the equation for Tal. This would take me way over budget so afraid its 1.25" EP's for the time being.

Thanks for the input everyone. Gonna go with the Hyperion.

Good choice :p

Once you have used it a few times, if you get a chance to post a few notes on how you find it with your scope and how it compares with the Meade 4000 26mm that would be very interesting for myself and others to read. I'm sure many are considering a similar change and any feedback will be very welcome :)

Cheers :)

When i get the Hyperion i will do a side by side comparison with the Meade 4000 and gladly post a few notes on here. I don't intend selling the Meade until i can compare the two together.

Cheers

Damo

Archived