New scope

sure can. anything more than about 50x magnification should do it. you'll also see moons, esp. the orangey Titan. Saturn for the first time is a moment you won't forget quickly. it's small but watch for a while and the detail will come.

expect it to fade in and out of focus as all planets tend to.

make sure the scope is outside for maybe 30 mins before use to get to outside temps.

good luck! (and welcome to SGL!)

I got the same scope. And saturn was the second object i pointed at the sky. First being a star. You would difinateley will able to see it with the naked eye. It will appear as a star. First use the 20mm EP to get the object in view and focus l. Than move to the 10mm EP and focus again than you would be able to see its ring aswell. I am watching it as i type from my phone. Oyeah the finder scope is a nightmare if you dnt learn to get use to it.

the standard ones will be OK for now.n get used to them for a bit and you can then decide what you need based on what's 'missing' from the experience.

one way to tell a planet from a star is that planets never 'twinkle'. look at Jupiter (just near the moon at the minute) and you'll see what I mean.

re finders, the way to use straight finders is with both eyes open if you can. sounds daft but it works. make sure you line it up properly first - ask if not sure how - can be done in the daytime using a pylon or similar.

I have discovered how **** the finder scope is, i couldnt even find the moon with it lol, after many hours of messing about with it last night i managed to see saturn and its rings (wow) although not in any detail, i don't think i done too bad considering ive never even touched a scope before today. For some reason i cant see anything when using the 20mm EP so am having to try and find everything using the 10mm which i beleave is harder?

Archived