Software Required

Thanks for your replies. Reason for needing Az/Alt is I do not always use the EQ Mount. Sometimes just a tripod and camera.Your correct Stellarium does have both readings but I have found that when comparing Stellarium against HNSKY and Starcalc they all give different readings on a known object.

Maybe I am going loopy but I cannot find how to control the telescope in Stellarium version 0.10.6.1.Does this freebie version not support scope control. Be gentle with me I am new to all of this.

Stellarium is a free download anyway.

Have a read of the link I posted above and see if there is anything in there that may help. If not come back to us and explain exactly what you are doing and what you want to do.

Hi Digz,

Yes you are correct. Read the article and would you believe it I found everything there. Just proves that I need to pay more attention and to read release notices.

Thanks a million for your help. Will try it out in the next couple of nights. Too much low level thin cloud here now. I ask another question to you.

I got an EQ5 Synscan mount last week and tried last night to polar align it without success. I have read Astro baby's article but had the following result.

1 Levelled the mount

2 Dialled in 51 deg as lattitude and waited for polaris to appear.

Trouble was I could locate it in the finder scope but just enough to guess it was in the middle of the circle. How do I get it in the small ring as I cannot see it in the dark.

3 Ater this tried Synscan alignment. Entered Lat / Long etc but failed. At times the scope tried to find stars that were way below the horizon.

On my Celestron 130 Nexstar Goto I choose which stars I want to align to i.e. those I can see which I slew to and press enter and this works fine but Synscan as far as I can see does not have this capability.

Well enough of my problems just now. Better go and make "her indoors" a cup of tea.

Again thanks for your help.

PS Is there anyone down in this neck of the woods (New Milton Hampshire) who would be interested in getting together for a chat and clue me in.

Hey Neil, sorry for the delay. Glad you got it sorted.

With regards to polar alignment, you should be able to see polaris in the polarscope. When I align my mount, ie get it facing North, levelled and latitude dialled in and look through the polar scope I can see polaris and not a lot else.

With the Synscan alignment, are you sure you have entered your lat and long the right way around? Its a common mistake.

Hi Digz

That may be the problem as it was the first time I had used it and when re-checking just accepted the figures entered without taking note if they were the wrong way around. Getting a RDF today and seeing as we have clear skies tonoght will give it another go. This time I will pay attention.

Many thanks

Neil

Archived