Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD Communications Error?

Does anyone know under what conditions you get an ‘Error: Timeout’ display on EQMOD?

I can be working normally for most of the evening, but occasionally I lose communications to the mount and it won’t respond to commands. It continues tracking, but EQMOD displays an ‘Error: Timeout’ message when I try a slew or any other action. Sometimes it happens randomly with a single programme running (Maxim DL), sometimes when I try an action with two or more separate programmes (eg Maxim DL, EQMosaic, Starry Night). Closing the programme doesn’t clear the problem, usually it requires a reboot of the PC.

The equipment setup is a Nettop PC running XP connected via USB to a Hitec EQDIR module, which connects direct to the EQ6 input. All the control software is loaded on the nettop. The mount control software (mainly Maxim DL, occasionally with EQMosaic, Starry Night) are all connected to the POTH hub which connects to the mount with EQMOD. The nettop is located at the mount. I also have a Shoestring FCUSB module, SX-H16 camera, all connected by USB direct to the Nettop. Also connected is a powered hub to which is connected a SX Filter Wheel, SX Lodestar guidecam and gamepad. I control the mount nettop via a network link using TeamViewer remote desktop software.

I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

The error seems to be happening more often now. The nettop is a ZBOX HD-1D11 (Atom D510 @ 1.66GHz, 2GB ram, 64GB SSD), cpu utilization is about 30% and ram usage is about 0.5GB. Everything works normally during setup, but after an hour or so tracking and imaging a target, the next slew does not work and EQMOD displays the connection error: Timeout’ message. A reboot is required to clear the problem. Can anyone think of circumstances under which this could happen?

Archived