Red dot woes....

I have a Skyhawk 1145P Goto with a normal finderscope and noticed that the version mounted on the eq mount has a red dot finder, so off I went and bought the Baader RDF only to find that it wont fit regardless of all the bases supplied. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I mount the RDF securely to the tube?

HELP!

I think I've found some pics of your scope (alt-az go-to) but couldn't see the

method of mounting the finder. If it is like this ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Quick Release finder mounting shoe

Then sometimes a replacement finder needs either filing down if it's too big, or

packing out if it's too small. Not ideal I know.

Or some replacement RDFs come with a range of alternative mounts, that are

fixed with double sided sticky foam.

Perhaps, if none of these ideas help, you could let us have some pics of the

problem please ?

Best regards, Ed.

It looks like it's a two hole type finder mount (two threads up through the tube, and bolts to hold them on. The Baader skysurfer III comes with mounting for 2 hole, SW finder shoe and something I'm not sure about, so you should find one of them will fit.

Can you post a piccy of the actual finder mount point to confirm.

Thanks for the reply and I will try and upload a photo later, I seem to have all manner of bases and a dovetail shoe but none seem to fit very well or at all. In addition, the screw threads that mounted the original finder are rather short. Might be time for some DIY, now where did I leave that drill...

You may find, that the standard 2 hole finder mount isn't curved enough... there should be an odd looking plate that has two edge and a centre bar, with more of a curve on it, fit that under the 2 hole base plate. I had to do that on my ST80 clone, as the tube is more curved than the standard plate.

Cheers John, yes that is the case and I do have that adaptor. Only thig is that if I swap the bolts for longer ones (as the existing are too short), then the nuts to tighten the RDF down do not sit flush.

not sure I follow you... as long as the base is held in place firmly... does it matter that the nuts don't quite sit flush to the base plate ? The base of the nuts is rounded isn't it so that they can drop into the holes and secure tightly...

All fixed guys and no drilling required. I used the dovetail bracket in the end with rubber washers underneath to pack it out. Think I'm quite happy with the result and it's definately not going to wobble about or drop off!

Archived