Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 Mount a suitable upgrade from 8SE ?

Hello all,

I've had my Nexstar 8SE for a couple of years now, and really enjoyed owning it. I have a DSI II which I have used to get some half decent images of solar system objects, but starting to feel the limitations of AltAz when attempting DSO.

The optics are not the issue, so I am thinking my next purchase should be a EQ mount that will take my OTA.

For example FLO are doing this Celestron CG5 mount

Celestron - Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO

I already have the CN16 GPS module, I'm familar with the Nexstar controller - does this sound like the upgrade path I should follow ?

Thanks in advance

I would say it depends on your budget. If you have a limited budget, then I imagine the CG-5 would be good enough. If you are going to get into serious DSO imaging, then you might want to save a bit longer and go for the sturdier HEQ5 or HEQ6.

Rachel

I had exactly the same problem with my 6se. Where a lighter mount may be okayish for the scope itself, you are eventually going to want to add an SLR/webcam/guide scope and the mass soon adds up. I think you should err on the heavy side or you will regret it later.

Hi

I know this is not quite on topic, but yesterday i was looking at the 5se at Rother Valley Optics with a view to either getting the 6 or 8se what do you think to them?

Vulcan has the 6 been ok for you from the point of view of not regretting going to the 8?

I know this is a bit aperture feverish I just want to make the right decision.

Again apologies for crashing the thread but with 2 users on line it was to good an opportunity to miss.

Thanks

Rich

Thanks for the replies...

Portability is a requirement

The weight of my 8SE mount + OTA is advertised at 10.89kg. I can handle moving this around.

Just wondering if the NEQ6 is something that can be described as portable - dont want to strain something each time I get the mount out !

Thanks for the replies...

Portability is a requirement

The weight of my 8SE mount + OTA is advertised at 10.89kg. I can handle moving this around.

Just wondering if the NEQ6 is something that can be described as portable - dont want to strain something each time I get the mount out !

I was taken aback when the NEQ6 arrived in TWO heavy boxes. I only have to move it a couple of metres from a garden shed to the middle of my lawn (without the scope attached). I wouldn't want to be moving it much further than that - and I am a big lad!

I think you will struggle to get meaningful images done with a c8 on a cg5, the tube is right at the top of the mounts capability's and then you have to put guidescope cameras etc on. The rule is equipment should weigh 50% of the mounts rated load, less if you can get away with it.

These mounts do come in pieces. My CG-5 plus C8 weighs 25 kilos assembled but I don't move it once it's set up, except an inch or two sideways if I need to adjust alignment. No single part of it weighs more than about 9-10 kilos. My friend has an HEQ5, but when dismantled, I can move all the bits and I am only a small lady! It might take 4 trips in and out to retrieve the tripod, mount, weights and scope, but unless you're planning on moving the whole thing in one go, I don't think portability is a problem.

Rachel

Archived