Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can Maxim be used to take DSLR Light Frames?

Can I program Maxim DL to take my light frames?

I can see the option for 'Lights' in the Autosave section, but I thought you take light frames with the DSLR set to 'AV' and let the camera decide on the exposure.

So I can't see how you could do this in Maxim by setting a set time for the exposure and I thought that Maxim can only control a camera when it is set to Manual or Bulb...but I might be wrong..am I?

Daniel

Surprised this hasn't been answered yet. I don't use a DSLR with Maxim, so I might be wrong below, but based on using CCDs with Maxim, here's what I do...

"Light" in Maxim language is an image of the thing you are trying to image (i.e. a galaxy). I think you're talking here about "Flats" instead? (i.e. images of a flat evenly illumated source for calibration). In any case, the only difference Maxim has between these two is a keyword in the image header. The actual way it takes the data is the same.

When I take flats, I play around with the exposure time until I get the right amount of flux on the detector, and then set that exposure time in the Maxim autosave section. You could do the same with a DSLR in Manual mode of course. I've never seen anything in Maxim that would let you use the Av setting... (but I've never looked very hard either!)

Thanks, yes I meant "flats" I keep getting confused.

Yes I think you can only set your DSLR to manual using Maxim, that's a good idea to try the AV mode, get the timing and then set that in Maxim.

When you say 'flux on the detector' what exactly do you mean?

Thanks

Daniel

Archived