Using wixey with a dobsonian - do I need co-ord conversion?

OK, Steve.

I understand (I think). If the Wixey gauge readout is in degrees with several decimal places of precision - but does not display degrees/minutes/seconds - then when you are using charts that show for example, 31° 5' 52", then you must convert that reading to 31.0980556° to read the Wixey on that heading.

All that assumes that your reference gives you the declination for a given time. After you have found the object of choice, you will have to nudge the dob to keep the object in view. For other mounts, there is software that will drive those mounts to keep the object in the field of view.

I think the concern was that an altitude / azimuth co-ordinate (constantly changes) is not the same as a declination / right ascension (fixed) reading. for this reason (fixed/changing) most books give the latter only and this requires an equatorial mount / setting circles. most astro computer programs will give you both but to the the former you need to enter your time and co-ordinates before a session to get good readings. you can also get pda programs which do the same.

the idea is that with a 1 degree eyepiece you should see the object with just a little (or no) sweeping if set up well.

hope this answers your question and does not offend if this is all known to you. :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Moonshane!

No need to worry about giving offense. I certainly did not know all that. I'm too inexperienced to have used the RA bearings to locate objects. In fact, I've only observed Earth's Moon with my dob as clouds have been a problem since last weekend.

I'm attending a star party Saturday evening - weather permitting - where I hope to get some personal instruction in using my scope.

Thanks again for the education.

Archived