Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion StarShoot Solar System color imager IV or AMCap help - can't see planets

G'day all -

I recently received an Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV for use with my 4.5" starblast scope. I used the default software (driver and AMCap) for video capture and have done OK with the moon. But I have yet to be able to see a single planet - I hunted for Jupiter last night until it went too low and Saturn early this AM while it was high in the sky. But no luck. I was easily able to center up and focus both bodies with a 6mm eyepiece and 2xbarlow.

I think it may be a gain issue but I see no option to control the gain using AMCap.

Can anyone please lend a hand.

I've tried using WXAstroCapture but it crashes any time I try to capture or change camera settings.

I'm having the same problem with WXAstroCapture. you can capture with "DELL WEB CAM CENTRAL" at the bottom left it will say integrated webcam. click on that and change it to D-PEN. then click the arrow beside the camera icon in the middle, choose video quality 1280x1024. this will make the video format avi so you can use the video file in Registax. I've just been working on this today. I'm going to try for results tonight. I hope this helps.

My problem ended up being one of focus - until sufficient focused light comes into the SSCI-IV you don't get ANYTHING on screen. I'm finding I have to focus it in a standard eyepiece (with or without barlow as my plan for the SSCI-IV dictates), swap eyepiece for SSCI-IV, change focus slowly until an image appears. Fast focus changes gives the CCD insufficient time to collect the light and report it. I've given up on WXAstroCapture - I'm successfully using AmCap and K3CCDTools. Haven't really noticed any difference between them either.

Clear dark skies.

Archived