NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotograpy Help

keithsizer

Hi all, hope your well?

I have just been given my Mum's Canon 450d camera, and wondered if it's suitable for astrophotography? The telescope I have, is the, Skywatcher Skymax 127. Are these compatible for astrophotography? If they are, what else will I need (t-ring, filters etc)?

I would like to take pictures of our moon, as well as planets and DSO's.

Thanks for all your help.

A Canon EOS 450 is fine for astrophotography. It is best used for DSO's. You will need a EOS T mount and also an adaptor to connect it to your telescope. I have a skymax 180 telescope and use a t mount to 2" eyepiece adaptor. Depending on the telescope interface you may need to use a T mount to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor. Discuss your requirement with your local astronomy shop and they will ensure you get the correct connections.

To start with, you really do not need much else. Control the EOS from a PC via the USB lead to avoid camera shake when pressing the shutter button.

Your scope is f11.8 so that is very slow for DS objects and will, as a result, put your tracking under a lot of pressure because very short subs won't give much signal. Have a go at bright clusters first, I would say.

Which mount do you have? is it equatorial? If not you really will be limited to the planets and moon.

Olly

It's a SynScanTM AZ GoTo Computerised Alt-Azimuth HD Go-To Mount. Can I use 'focal reducer'?

If it is alt-az you can only do very short exposures due to field rotation and since the scope has a slow f ratio you will not be able to get deep sky, I don't think, in these short subs. Even with a focal reducer you will get very little so I think, honestly, it would be a waste of money.

I'd go for the moon and planets with a Barlow to extend the focal length.

Olly

Archived