NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OSC- making a master dark

ive decided its time to take the plunge into dark subtraction.

ive collected 20 5 min dark subs at the temp set-point i use.

firstly with my OSC qhy9 i usually batch de-mosiac and sqaure my lights in nebulosity, i assume the same same needs to be applied to the darks??

second, i was going to use DSS to make a master dark, do u load them under darks in DSS let it stack them, how then do u load the master to be subtracted from the image??

many thanks

matt

In DSS, the first time you load all the darks (with lights etc) and process it will create a master dark - in the darks folder.......so the next time you use DSS you will only have to use the master dark.

But if you are using Nebulosity - why dont you make a master dark in there?

From Neb help files -

1. Pull down Batch, Align and Combine

2. Select "None" for the Alignment method and keep it set to "Save stack" and "Average / Default" or better yet, “Standard deviation (1.25)”

3. Click OK and then select all of your dark frames (or bias frames, or flat frames)

4. When all are stacked, give the resulting combined dark frame a name like "master_dark"

or "master_dark_1m" (1m being a code for 1 minute - something to let you know what

kind of master dark this is)

5. Repeat for any other types you have (flats and/or biases)

Archived