Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble and M52

Catanonia

Despite the full moon and Valentines night, I had to take the opp and grab some data.

Decided that I would maximise the chances of a few clear hours and went for 2xbinning for the first time.

So Skywatcher MN190 + QHY9 + 2inch filters for HaLRGB

LRGB was 2xbin at 150s and Ha was 2xbin at 300s to give a total of about 3 hours exposures at 2xbin.

So even under the full moon, I was able to grab something and I am seriously considering using 2xbin for a lot more of my images when all you do is scale them down for the web.

Here she is, NGC 7635 Bubble and M52 Cluster.

post-16631-133877533452_thumb.jpg

Forgive my noobishness... but what is binning?

Not a silly question and I think I know, here goes

Take 4 pixels in a square and combine the light into 1 pixel.

It effectively gives you twice as much light gathering capability, ie reduced exposure times but at a cost.

1. Reduced image size ie 2xbin = image 1/2 size vertically and horizontally if 2x bin square

2. Reduced resolution.

So for me, 150s at 2xbin is the same in light gathered as 300s normal with the above hazards. But since I reduce the image normally for screens and I had limited time to capture data, I deemed it worth while with what I think very good results.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Archived