NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

connecting DSLR to ST102........

Evening folks, and its a clear one here in suffolk!!

I will be ordering a Skywatcher Startravel 102 next week. Just wondering, what will I actualy need to fix my canon 550D to it, Prime focus style. Obviously I need a T adaptor thingy, but will I need an extender tube, or can I buy the extender with the "T" bit already on it..??

Anyone have any experience with the ST102 using a DSLR...?

Just trying to get an idea of cost. All these little extra bits seem to be adding up to more than I first budgeted for, I just want the basic's to get going......

Thanks

Stan

Hi DemonPerformer, thanks for reply.

Yes I think your right, FLO tell me that this comes with 2" focus tube and I can connect the dslr straight to it via a simple T ring adaptor. But I have read alot about needing an extension tube on alot of refractors to get the camera into focus, the opposite to the problem with some reflectors.......???

If someone on here could confirm I don't need to spend £20 extra on a tube to get my cam to focus it would be handy to know....

Cheers.

You should be fine.

I have no trouble achieving focus with a DSLR attached to my ST102,a really nice little scope............even better if you replace the rack and pinion with a Crayford.

That's interesting. I've just come inside after using the same setup and I WAS using an extension tube (the barlow tube with the lens unscrewed). I did this because I THOUGHT that there wouldn't be enough back focus (there isn't with the ST80 nor the C80ED).

Anyway, if the 102 comes with a barlow and you find that there isn't enough back focus, just unscrew the lens and away you go.

Steve

Ah rite, so the Barlow go's straight into the focus tube and the t adaptor screws onto the Barlow where the lens would have been....?

Where does the 1.25" or 2" bit take affect? Surely the Barlow supplied will be 1.25? Will it still all fit together? Flo mentioned about the st102 being 2" so it was possible to directly fit extension tubes etc, are the t adaptors for 1.25 or 2" ??? I'm struggling to get my head around all this.

Ah rite, so the Barlow go's straight into the focus tube and the t adaptor screws onto the Barlow where the lens would have been....?QUOTE]

Yes, except for the last bit. The barlow lens (which you remove) is at the far end of the tube. Although, as CW has pointed out, you may not need the extension. From what you have said it looks like you have all the necessary bits and will not need to spend any more...for the moment.

As for the 1.25" and 2", when it all arrives it will/should all become clear.

Steve

Archived