Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Should how level my garden is affect mount choice?

I'm quite keen on the skywatcher 150p on an EQ3-2 mount, but after reading a few threads, it seems that it needs to be completely level to enable correct tracking.

Unfortunately my garden isn't flat at all.

Is it possible to level a tripod on sloping ground and still maintain it's rigidity? I can do it with a camera, but they are far less susceptible to movement.

Also, if I were to go for a dobsonian mount, would the fact I don't have a level garden affect how well it performs? I can imagine having it on an angle might cause the telescope to naturally swing to face down hill.

Ideally I'd like the EQ mount if it's not going to be an issue, as I'd consider motorising it at a later date.

Is it possible to level a tripod on sloping ground and still maintain it's rigidity?

I see no reason why not. That's why the tripod legs are adjustable.

Also, if I were to go for a dobsonian mount, would the fact I don't have a level garden affect how well it performs?

Probably bad for it. You can wedge it level with some pieces of wood, though.

I'm quite keen on the skywatcher 150p on an EQ3-2 mount, but after reading a few threads, it seems that it needs to be completely level to enable correct tracking.

Really? I thought that it did not matter whether a GEM was level or not. Once it is polar aligned nothing else matters.

Cheers,

Chris

Really? I thought that it did not matter whether a GEM was level or not. Once it is polar aligned nothing else matters.

Cheers,

Chris

Interesting, is it just the goto mounts that need to be levelled then?

This makes things a lot easier. although, if I did need a level site I could always build a patio! :(

I believe GOTO alt-azimuth mounts need to be leveled, but not GEMs. My understanding is a GEM mount should be set up at a consistent level each time (to assure the starting altitude is close to the correct value for polar aligning) but it does not have to be actually level.

Archived