C8-SGT or NexStar 8 SE

Sorry but i think i should posted this in the Equipment Help section which i have now done, but you could still give me some ideas in there if you can please.

Hi everyone,

Over the next three months or so im saving the shillings for a new scope, the Celestron C8-SGT or Celestron NexStar 8 SE.

To be honest apart from the mounts that come with each scope, Single Fork Arm Altazimuth on the SE & CG-5 Equatorial on the C8-SGT there does not seem to be much differnece between the two.

Some minor things ie weight, slew speeds & tracking modes etc, what i am after is something giving good clear images, astrophotography suitable, compact really.

I'm not a complete novice but there are so many 'good' scopes out there, like my son in a sweet shop, he just wants them all :-)

I have read that the SE suffers a little wobble at higher mag in a light breeze which is not ideal for imaging, or is that wrong ? where as i assume what looks like a sturdier mount under the SGT this should not occur or at least not as much.

I was originally looking at a new 300mm reflector because i have only ever used those before, but as i understand these two scopes with there long focal length of 2032 can achieve better images.

I am not going to impulse buy as i want to use this scope for many years to come so i can be patient, i am looking at a budget of upto £1,500.00 all, i already have a few 1.25" ep's, filters etc.

Btw the ad for the Nexstar 8 sais this:-

FREE NEXIMAGE WITH THIS TELESCOPE PLUS Free More Powerful 10mm Plossl Eyepiece and 30mm for deep Space along with the Nexremote Telescope Control Software and Lead. EXTRAS COMBINED VALUE £194!!!!!! SAVE £290!! <<<< Is this a good deal ?

Whereas the SGT said :-

SAVE £100 RRP £1130 Free Binoculars, Kson Multi-eyepiece holder or Digi-scoping adapter (you Choose, leave note at checkout), and Includes CD-ROM "The Sky" Astronomy Software which provides education about the sky and printable sky maps, all with Free Delivery

I'm more interested in the setups tbh.

Please throw some good advice my way & pitfalls of each if you can ?

I have found that you can only Google general info for these scopes but i love to hear from some serious user's in here so i make the right choice that suits me.

Thnx for any replies

Hi c8's are great scopes visually but they need help to be imaging scopes at f10 they are too slow so you'll need either a focal reducer or hyperstar. if you really want to image get a heq5 and a edt 80 and maybe 150p ota for visual. nexstars are pretty good grab and go although the 8 is big. amd I don't really see the point of the c8 for imaging the mount is too small and it needs too many extra bits a good scope otherwise

Rowan is dead right. Buy an 8 inch fork or arm mounted SCT for visual observation and planetary imaging but not deep sky photography. The slow focal ratio and long focal length mean these scopes need very accurate mounts. The fork mounts are a delight for visual use but need a load of money and effort to get them to deep sky imaging standard and many, including myself, never got there.

These days you will be long in the tooth before you have exhausted the possibilities of the fast CCD camera and fast small refractor. And these do not need extravagent guiding accuracy.

Olly

My only comment would be to get your order in quick... some people have been waiting since November for a C8.. and ETA is "March" so it could be months before you get your scope.

When I was researching my purchase, originally I opted for a C6-SGT on the CG-5 mount - but due to the uncertainty of delivery, and the comments (backed up by Youtube video) of the noise the drives make (enter coffee grinder in the search string :( ) I canceled my order and chose the Skywatcher 200P on a EQ-5 pro goto mount. If you choose the 200P on an HEQ5 goto it works out around £100 cheaper than the C8 -SGT and from what I've read here the HEQ5 comes highly rated as been one of the best mounts around for it's price. - and better than the CG-5

Yes I know the two OTA's are different animals, but I'm glad I changed my mind and went with the skywatcher - It arrived in less than 2 weeks from date of ordering and although tonight was the first time i used it, I'm really pleased with it

Archived