Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally, a clear night!

So I wrapped up warm and went out with my new 15x70 bins. My stop gap until I commit to a telescope.

After a few minutes to get my eyes used to the gloom, the first thing I realised was that the back garden isn't actually that gloomy.

My first target was Orion and the Nebula, I'm a complete beginner and this is pretty much the only thing I've learnt the position of yet. I found Orion by eye, proving I have actually learnt something! However, the position wasn't ideal, above 2 street lamps that are quite high above me (our house is 2 stories at the front and drops to 3 at the rear, so the garden is below street level when I look round the side to the South).

Even so, through the bins I could clearly make out a smudge halfway down the sword of Orion, I'd just seem my first Nebula in the flesh!

Then disaster, my arms tired and the image started to jump around badly, I retired to a garden chair, feet on the garden table, and rested my elbows on my knees. I spend another 30mins or so, looking to the west and the north, trying to work things out using Google skymaps ( I am still waiting for a red torch so I can use my Planisphere and "Turn Left at Orion") but nor really sure what I say. Although just scanning the sky was impressive, the binoculars certainly revel a lot more than the naked eye.

I think what I learnt on my first stargazing adventure is….

1. I like it, and I want to see more. Telescope purchase is imminent.

2. binoculars take a bit of effort to keep steady - I'm glad I've ordered a tripod bracket to use my camera tripod.

3. the garden has pretty bad light pollution.

4. I AM actually learning something about the night sky. But not much so far!

5. The binoculars are going to be fantastic when I'm camping and Light Pollution is far less.

6. It was actually quite relaxing sitting in the garden, in the dark and alone, staring at the sky, far more enjoyable that the Telly!

Archived