Right Angled Finder

Hi All

I am having to buy a Right Angled FinderScope fro my Skywatcher 120mm refractor, straight one is useless if looking towards zenith.

I was just wondering if I should get the erect right way around image or left and right swapped with an erect image.

I think the former but would like any advice please.

Thanks

Paul

An erect, proper way round image is a lot easier to navigate with, if you're looking at a star map etc. Not that any other type is impossible. You just have to train your head to understand what you're seeing.

Cheers,

Andy.

Will a erecting diagonal eyepiece degrade the image at all ?

Shouldn't when it's working at such a low mag. You may get a less of a wide field of view(than a mirror) depending on the size of the entries/exits to the prism. It all really depends of the quality of the item and the field of view of the finder should(in theory) be stated by the manufacturer anyway.

Andy.

Oh sorry, thought you were still talking about the finder rather than a prism eyepiece diagonal. My bad !!

Unless you pay a decent amount of dosh, mirror diagonals work better in scopes at higher powers. A very good 1.25" prism diagonal is from Takahashi but they're about £75(I think?) !! I've got one and it's as good as any mirror I've used.

A standard prism diagonal works well for very low power or for use in daytime.

For astro work I'd go for a mirror diagonal.

Andy.

Archived