Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher explorer 250pds vs 80ED pro

Hi all,

I waited and watched. Now, I'm afraid I'm going to throw a pebble in the water, joining the large group of people needing help and advice.

OK, the background. I have had a 6 inch Dob for a few years. I have spent happy moments with it, but now with more money in the bank and more experience of the night sky, want to progress further. I'd initially start visual observing, get to know the set up better. Then, with more time, money and knowledge, move towards astro photography.

However, I'd like to keep the mount and scope constant, and keep adding trappings.

Mount: I have decided to get the Skywatcher NEQ 6 pro synscan, since it seems heavy duty and future proof.

Telescope: I had initially decided on the Skywatcher explorer 250 PDS, particularly as I was going visual, then photographic. However, I got a chance to seek opinions , and the Skywatcher 80ED pro came up as a contender for astrophotography.

I am confused (pleasantly so).

What I usually observe are both the DSOs and planets. However, my observation is going to be both visual and photographic. As I said, I'd like to keep my basic set up constant. I want something I can stick to the rest of my life without feeling a "what if"

The scope will be set up in a city. So, some light/dust pollution. However, I will have extra help when I move the scope to darker skies.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!

I think the blunt truth is that you need two different scopes. I'm not an imager but I too have constantly read advice from those in the know that small aperture, fast scopes on really solid mounts are the best way to do deep sky imaging. It seems counter-intuitive but, having seen their results I'm convinced !.

For visual use, and to improve on the capabilities of your current 6", the need is for large aperture - 10" or more ideally.

Unless they have developed a scope that really is good at everything and I missed it !.

Archived