NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Could someone help me with equatorial mount..

i have got a 114mm eq telescope. its a celestron type and its on an equatorial mount.

ve had it for a long time now, but ive never actually used it properly. ive been veiwing the stars and the planets by hand. ive been tracking with slow motion cables. i do have a equtorial motor. but dont know how to use it.

now, someone was telling me, i need to set the angle to 52 degrees coz i live in england, and i need to point the mount to the north star- now which part to i point exactly................

basically could you tell me how to set up an equatorial telescope the right way.

thank you

To be honest, your best bet is to go along to your local Astro Soc and get some hands on help.

Failing that - youtube is your friend:

The angle needs to be set to your Latitude, which is probably not far off 52" if you are in Englandshire somewhere...

Try and get the red arrow pointing at the pole star. Adjust the mount by moving the legs of the tripod from side to side or by moving the bolt with the yellow arrow until the red arrow points at the pole star. When the red arrow is pointing at polaris you should be able to get the mount to track using the motor.

Good luck.

polar.jpg

To be honest, your best bet is to go along to your local Astro Soc and get some hands on help.

Failing that - youtube is your friend:

The angle needs to be set to your Latitude, which is probably not far off 52" if you are in Englandshire somewhere...

This video I found really useful a few weeks ago.. good luck, all I can say is when the penny drops it's a eureka moment. I set my scope up in the lounge and worked through it... :)

Archived