NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RA/DEC and Stellarium

Ok peeps, I have a question regarding object locations and finding them with my scope...

I have the following Equatorial Mount EQ1

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

It has two scale circles on it which I understand refer to the RA & DEC... I think I have it right in saying that in 'simples' terms that's left to right and up and down?

I assume that once I have polar aligned my scope for a viewing session, I should be able to find a target by setting the scope with these scales? When I look on 'Stellarium' program; each object has lots of information about it including it's location top left which includes several RA/DEC quotes...

Is it possible for someone to tell me what I should be looking for regarding object location data and how I should use that on my scope and scales to find an object?

I do have a habit of sometimes over looking the simple sometimes, but I would love to know how the scales will help me find objects before I move on.

I don't bother with the ra and dec scales. What I tend to do is align my scope to polaris (using my eq mount), once done then you can move the ota to what you want to look at. I find the ra and dec scales a bit confusing to be honest.

Hope that helps.

Rich.

Ok peeps, I have a question regarding object locations and finding them with my scope...

I have the following Equatorial Mount EQ1

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

It has two scale circles on it which I understand refer to the RA & DEC... I think I have it right in saying that in 'simples' terms that's left to right and up and down?

I assume that once I have polar aligned my scope for a viewing session, I should be able to find a target by setting the scope with these scales? When I look on 'Stellarium' program; each object has lots of information about it including it's location top left which includes several RA/DEC quotes...

Is it possible for someone to tell me what I should be looking for regarding object location data and how I should use that on my scope and scales to find an object?

I do have a habit of sometimes over looking the simple sometimes, but I would love to know how the scales will help me find objects before I move on.

I'm in the same position as you Patbloke, not got round to deciphering the instructions or setting circles yet, If someone can offer words of wisdom, I think it will be easy though :)

I don't bother with the ra and dec scales. What I tend to do is align my scope to polaris (using my eq mount), once done then you can move the ota to what you want to look at. I find the ra and dec scales a bit confusing to be honest.

Hope that helps.

Rich.

I do the same, just align to polaris and then release the clutches and rotate the scope around to the general area of the object. I understand the scales on the scopes are very inaccurate.

I do the same, just align to polaris and then release the clutches and rotate the scope around to the general area of the object. I understand the scales on the scopes are very inaccurate.

Yes, the scales are not very accurate at all, well, at least not on my eq1 they're not! :)

Archived