Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This is totally new to me, and this is my first image:)

Keeping in mind this is only a rough 1st process - why have I got pink stars?

I only managed to get 3 - 20min subs in OIII so this image consists of 3 x OIII, 3 x SII and 3 x Ha just to keep it even and simple.

They are mapped to SII=Red, Ha=Green, OIII=blue.

Any hints tips would be very helpfull.

post-16950-133877526788_thumb.jpg

Pink stars are normal for Hubble Palette, take a look at Hubble images and see. This is because of the SII filter giving bigger stars.

2 ways to deal with it if you object to the colour.

-Select stars only and desaturate, trouble is that faintest stars will not be selected and will remain pink.

-Do a separate RGB for stars only and layer in, more work but will give the best result.

Regards, John.

I think you should use more selective colour to process out the green. Hubble palette contains very little or no green, just golden yellows and bright cyan/blue.

You can use selective colour, magenta to drop out most of the magenta in the stars because that's what it is, not pink!

Dennis

Thanks to you both will have a play later.

roundycat - I realised it was magenta when I woke up - a Eureka moment! - It was about 5am when I did the original!! LOL And I know I need more data, I have about 3 hrs of Ha and two of SII but only 1 of OIII, so I used an hour of each just for a quick look.

I think you have mapped the S2 and OIII the wrong way round Martin???

The weakest of all the emiision in IC410 is the OIII, but it should give you a blue background against golden clouds.

The tadpoles are strongest in Ha and pretty bright in S2, so they shouldn't come out blue???

We hear a lot about Hubble pallette and no green, but it seems to me to be more of an amateur astronomers trend rather than the Hubble processing teams, I quite like and maybe prefer the colouring given by the amateurs, but the Hubble team tend to allow more green, IMHO.

It'll be a nice pic, but you do need lots of exposure for this one, esp in Oiii and S2

Tim

I mapped S=red, Ha=green, O=blue but it was only a quick stretch to see what it looked like. And yes I know I need more data but I didnt start till midnight last night! Hopefully the cloud gods will play ball tonight:)

actually S2HaO3 is correct for RGB in the Hubble palette as shown in the link to the French picture. The Hubble team were the first to set the palette to gold/blue rather than green. A long way from the excessive green you see so often in amateur attempts because they can't be bothered.

Dennis

Ultimately, he who pays the piper gets to choose what his pictures look like. Most of us are in it for the pretty picture aspect and there will always be loads of people who say the colour is gorgeous even when it isn't. What they mean is that they like it.

Many refer to S2HaO3 as the Hubble Palette and strictly speaking I suppose it is but when did you ever see a picture from the Hubble team that was bright green?

They introduced the golden yellow/bright blue ages ago and for my money if you want to describe your picture as 'Hubble Palette' it ought to bear at least a passing resemblance to the pictures that Hubble turns out.

Dennis

Archived