fixed scope viewing time. eg(saturn)

A minute or two only. Of course, the idea with a dob such as this is that you nudge it gently to follow the object as it drifts out of the field of view. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it :)

For this particular case (200p dob), if you have say a standard 20mm Plossl-type eyepiece in (apparent field of view ~60 degrees; to make the maths easy!), you have a field of view of 60 / (1200/20) = 1 degree. Earth rotates at 15 degrees/hour, so you have ~1/15 hours = 4 minutes for Saturn to go from one side of the field of view to the other.

Although if you crank up the magnification it will move out of the field more quickly. You'll probably get a 10pm ep with the scope, so will have roughly half the time above... Though it seems like less to me

how does a nudge actually pan out?

i.e 2 axis are involved! ?????

a "nudge" can only move 1 ?

Indeed, each nudge moves the target down (or up, depends on which way in the sky you are looking) a smidge. I would say on my setup I've got 3 nudges before I have to move the scope up (or down) to get it back into view.

is a nudge a measured science/feature of the scope or a nudge of the hand/finger.

lol you may but you never know lol

There's certainly no science in mine, quick humph with the shoulder and let the target flip to the other side of the view :) Locking the scope so it can't travel up/down easily helps (on the 200P you can tighten or slacken one of the handles to adjust moveability of the tube up/down.)

Archived