powertank on HEQ5 mount - lock or unlock??

poolerich81

hi all, i have recently purchased a skywatcher 200pds on an HEQ5 mount and have just got a powertank for tracking.

my question is this (and forgive me if it sounds dumb im just cautious about messing up the motors!)

when using the handset, do i unlock the dec & ra knobs on the telescope or find what im looking for lock the knobs and then start tracking?

it would seem logical to me to unlock the knobs so the motors not straining against them but then obviously the telescope is free to swing about!!

again sorry if its a stupid question but i dont want to damage my pride and joy before if really got going!

thanks in advance!

rich

The Ra and Dec 'locking' knobs don't actually lock up the motors or put any strain on them, other than the load of the OTA etc so the motors can be driven at any time. The locking knobs allow you quickly reposition the scope to a region of interest and then carry on working.

If you think of them as clutches rather than locks it makes more sense.

You can slew the scope using the handset and motors if you wish or unlock the clutches and slew by hand and then re-lock.

To protect the motors from overload it is essential that you balance the scope correctly and rebalance should you add any heavy gizmos like cameras to it.

Archived