Still serching for first scope

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at skywatcher explorer 130 and explorer 130p the description details are exactly the same for each , so what difference does the P make and is it realy worth around £40 more, Also they do the 130p flex tube which is less than £10 more than the basic 130, except for the fles tube is on a dob mount as opposed to an EQ2.

Givent the choice waht would be the best to go for?

Also what extras would be needed with these scopes?

Thanks,

Kev.

The "P" maens the mirror is parabolic which is better at focusing. Dob or EQ is an eternal question and I think the answer depends on what and how you intend to use the scope.

Dobs track in alt and az whereas Eq tracks in RA and Dec. But a polar aligned Eq can track in a single plane (RA) which lends itself nicely to imaging.

I allways recommend Eq as it reflects the way the stars move and I figure newbies learn more about the sky from scratch. However, others suggest Dob's for the larger aperture per £ ratio.

Ultimately it's a personal choice and you need to understand both types before making a decision that's right for you :)

Hi Kev,

The P means the mirror is parabolic in shape as aposed to circular. This brings all the light to the same focus so is preferred. If I were in your shoes I would probably go for the 130P on the dob base, both for simplicity and cost. Your getting some good optics on a solid but cheap mount, leaving you more money for other accessories.

As for the accessories, a moon filter would help, as would a collimator. Use the scope with the supplied EPs before jumping in and buying some new ones. That will give you a better idea of what sort of thing you will want for the new eyepeices.

Hope that's helped,

Tom

nothing to add except to answer the extra bits this is free and maybe useful for your laptop Stellarium you may want a planisphere or guide book if you don;t want to take a laptop out with you and a red light torch may be useful as for spending on the scope all of those models come with eyepieces etc so I would use your scope awhile before you spend any money upgrading it then you will have some idea in which direction to go

Archived