NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 76mm Reflector, Opinions?

Looking for a new telescope, and I came across this one:

Focus Scientific

What are your opinions on this scope? I personally think it would be an upgrade from my current scope (60mm National Geographic refractor), but I just wanted to get opinions from people here before I jump into buying it.

Thanks!

I don't think that will be much of an upgrade to be honest. A 76mm newtonian will be little better, possibly not as good, as a 60mm refractor. Plus the mount and accessories will be poor.

I'd be looking to go to one of the Skywatcher 130mm F/5 newtonians, like this:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

OK it's more expensive but it's a heck of a lot more scope - you really would notice the difference then.

Sorry if this is not quite what you wanted to hear :)

I don't think that will be much of an upgrade to be honest. A 76mm newtonian will be little better, possibly not as good, as a 60mm refractor. Plus the mount and accessories will be poor.

I'd be looking to go to one of the Skywatcher 130mm F/5 newtonians, like this:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

OK it's more expensive but it's a heck of a lot more scope - you really would notice the difference then.

Sorry if this is not quite what you wanted to hear :)

Nope, this is definitely what I wanted to hear. I don't want to buy another telescope just to be disappointed with it again.

Is what you mentioned the same as this scope: Focus Scientific

I couldn't find any "Explorer 130P", so I'm assuming maybe the name differs in Canada from the UK? The one that I just listed looks like it has the same specs as the Explorer 130P. Actually, looking at the specs on this one, I think I would definitely prefer that one. Just got to start saving up a bit more. :(

Thanks for the help!

I have both a cheap refractor (my sons) and a 76mm newt but neither are really enjoyable to use as they are not really up to the job. I have access to a expensive rifle telescopic scope (air gunning is my main hobby) thats only rated at 32x magnification and i would much rather use this to view the night sky.

I have also just taken the plunge and ordered a skywatcher 130p as an upgrade after it was reccomended by many people on this forum. Awaiting delivery now and i will be posting my findings upon recipt of the new scope from a fellow noob as soon as i can

I have a 76mm Skywatcher reflector, not the one you are looking at admittedly, but I have really enjoyed using it. Some of the views it offered have been breathtaking, a great introduction to the hobby.

I don't know how much better it would be than your existing scope, but it may well be worth a try at that price.

Tom

Archived