Skywatcher Explorer 130m.

I have just bought the beginners scope named above.Since I bought it I have only had one clear night[i suppose I better get used to that].I`ve managed to set it up and figure most things but I haven`t even looked at the motor drive yet,I thought one thing at a time. I`m a little disappointed with what I can see[maybe it wasn`t that clear].My best view was of a faint band on Jupiter using a 25mm eyepiece.I understand the eyepieces supplied with starter kits are poor so maybe it is just a case of upgrading eyepieces.I managed to view a nebula in Orion and could see a white patch,but I get almost as good a view through my binoculars once my eyes have adjusted.I understand that I cannot expect too much from a starter kit but I would appreciate any help or advice anyone could give me.I`ve checked eyepiece prices and it is not that expensive to upgrade.The views through the 10mm and Barlow lens are just blurred.Thanks in anticipation.

Ron Pearcy.

Hello - I got an identical bit of kit from FLO before Christmas so here's the benefit of my experience... FWIW I had an expectation that collimation would be needed based on research and understanding of Newtonian Reflectors.

Whilst the scope 'worked' out of the box with the 25mm EP, 25+Barlow was usable, 10mm was uncomfortable and 10+Barlow showed nothing. Jupiter with 25mm or 10mm gave blurred blurred edges (blue and orange). I could also see when taking the EP out and looking through the focuser to the secondary mirror (or when defocusing on a star) that the light path was not straight (the spider was off centre).

I tried a bit of manual adjustment on the primary mirror by eye which helped but as expected not by much. The big difference came when I collimated properly. I decided to get a laser collimating tool and even tho' the 130 doesn't have a centre spot on the mirror it was possible to get that done by sight and with progessive tiny adjustments of the secondary (for which you need an thin allen key which is not supplied). Adjusting the primary was then straightforward and 10mm + barlow produced an image. Planets are much clearer and I can get quite a bit more detail (but not Voyager fly-bys! :) ). Other deeper fainter stuff is also getting easier to locate and identify when I couldn't find anything before.

When I bought the collimation laser I also got a couple of Revelation EPs to test out and supplement the standard kit and the difference is noticeable. Once I've played some more I'll take the mirror out and centre mark it.

So the short answer - collimation will probably help.

I still think it's a good bit of kit and really really cheap for what it can do. I would recommend persevering with this - the standard 25mm,10mm, barlow combinations should all work and shouw you something. Practice with switching between 25 and 10, then get something dead centre in the 25+barlow before going for 10+barlow (this is what worked for me).

cheers

Rob

Also have the 130p and like said above collimation is a MUST, both my scopes when unpacked and set up needed doing, dont forget these scopes have been in ships, lorrys and vans.

Wait at least 30mins before looking in it after set up, the scope needs to "cool" to get a clear image.

The EP's supplied are "ok" and will get you started but better quality one's will be much better.

Stick with it, it will get better,learn to let your eye's adjust to what your looking at, but most of all don't expect to see the images in books or photos people have sent on here, the photos are frame after frame and stacked to give a clear image.

Archived