Astrophotography: what else do I need?

Hello all, new member here, just getting myself set up for some stargazing.

I'd like to be able to take pictures through my scope, a Skywatcher Newtonian model. I have a DSLR, and a T-ring on order from my local telescope shop. My scope came with two eyepieces, a Barlow and what it describes as a 'direct camera connection' - but the instructions that came with it are poor.

So if I have the scope, the camera and the ring, is there anything else I need?

Hi Ian, welcome to SGL... I can't really help specifically, as I've no experience of newtonian's, but it would help if you documented your entire setup, scope, mount etc.. that way others with experience of newt's can offer more guidance.

Hello Ian welcome to sgl, with that set up you will be able to take wide field shots with a maximum 30 secs exposure. for deep space objects, nebulas etc you are going to need a mount that tracks accurately is capable of being guided and is equatorial mounted. this book will tell you all you need to know to get you started Its written by one of the imagers on here and explains it all much better than could be done in an internet forum. I would suggest you read it first and decide if astrophography is for you as it can be very expensive. Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards I hope this helps

If you're like me you'll just want to have a bit of fun at first and then get into the detail later. With the auto release and the T adaptor you have all you need. It will really help if your camera has live view, this really helps when adjusting the focus.

The moon is a great target to start with.

If you want deep sky targets start with something nice and bright like M42. Get as good a polar alignment as you can manage. Find a bright star and use live view if you have it to get a tight focus. Then do a 30 second exposure and see what you get. After that the real fun and games begin - stacking multiple exposures, using dark frames, improving the tracking and so on. Don't forget to post those first images on the imaging threads.

Good luck!

Archived