NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

westmidlands meets

amyscott

Hi Amy,

You are welcome to come along to Walsall Astronomical Society (WAS). We meet Thursdays at Rushall Olympic FC 8.30 most weeks or 7.30 if we have an external speaker (1st Thursday of the month usually). There is a bar and we have a couple of scopes if the skies are clear. Skies aren't that dark as we have Walsall a few miles to the South but it is good to have a get together.

Also there is an observing group on here - Wolverhampton and Black Country Observing Group (WABCOG). We should be ashamed by how inactive we are but we do try to get off up the M54 to a dark site at Cosford whenever there is a clear moonless Saturday night. I guess there just aren't that many of those! Search WABCOG on here. We have a group in communities but most of use just post in the main forum as the forum software doesn't give notifications of anything posted in the the group.

PM me is you want any more info on either.

I'm sort of halfway between Wolverhampton and Willenhall. I paid my first visit to the Wolverhampton Astronomical Society last night, and had a really good time. The only downside was the travelling, as I don't drive. Two buses each way, one of them through a dubious part of town, does put a bit of a damper on it.

what went on then john p?

The meeting itself was great. I got to chat with some very knowledgeable people, who gave me a few pointers, then listened to a fascinating talk about variable stars by Gary Poyner, who is an expert in this field.

The downer was having to travel on a bus full of chavs through a rough part of town. Need I say more?

Archived