NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pentaflex 'scopes any good?

After using a small almost toy level telescope for the last year I am looking at upgrading. I have seen that the explorer 130 is a pretty impressive scope for my budget (£300 tops) but i have seen a Pentaflex 130 AZ GOTO which has similar specs but has a longer focal length.

1. Is this worth considering over the sky watcher explorer 130

2. Is it possible that they are copies or rebranded sky watcher scopes of inferior quality :)

Thanks Craig.

Had never heard of it so I looked it up. The tube is not 1m long so to achieve the 1000mm focul length it probably has a built in barlow lens in the focuser tube. I would avoid this type of scope. For your budget of £300 have you thought of a Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian It will give you the best bang for your buck or pound.

they do appear to be rebranded skywatchers i think they are whats sold in south africa they appear to be pretty much the same price as we pay for skywatcher. So why not get the skywatcher at least they are well supported should you have a problem

Had considered a dob but i think their size maybe an issue. My main requirement is really to get a goto scope so i can let that guide me to things i probably wouldnt be able to find on my own. I have books and computer programs and i never seem able to find the objects i am looking for, i just want to see for myself the wonders of the night sky as easily as possible at the moment and learn from there.

The skywatcher explorer 130p synscan az goto seems to be the best option i can find at the moment unless anyone knows of anything better i should be ordering one by the weekend.

The 'toy grade' telescope was a gift from parents trying to do the right thing. It was the 76mm newtonian scope in argos, so obviously not the best starting place for serious viewing. Aside from astronomy my main hobby is air gunning and i have used my rifle scope as a mini telescope (MTC viper 8-32x60) which wielded very impressive results (at £300 it is a serious piece of optical kit) when looking at jupiter or saturn but i couldnt hold it for long periods as it was still on the rifle.

Archived