Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help choosing a mount

spacetrace

Hi guys, I need some advice again! I am wanting to get hold of an eq mount/ tripod and can't decide whether for the sake of 50 quid to go for an eq5 rather than an eq3. Weight etc is not going to be a problem as this us mainly going to be used in my garden, what I do want is something that will last with potential for future upgrades like attaching camera to my scope etc adding goto etc.... One other question is whether to spend the money now to get full goto which is not a necessity or to just get the motors and upgrade to synscan later if I feel I need to have it... I have so many options to consider, I'm currently thinking eq5 with dual axis drives would be the best option but any advice is appreciated :) thanks again peeps xxx

I am currently in the throes of Astrotrac obsession, so I'll point you in that direction. Hauling big mounts out to the garden every clear night gets boring after a while. The Astrotrac can be taken to dark sites easily...

IMHO i would take always the sturdiest mount i can afford. Heavier is better because it would have a lower resonace frequency. every mount in the consumer grade will have a wobble but less is better. I bought an EQ6 without synscan and bought the upgrade just a few months ago.

Archived