Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 200 PDS + EQ5 goto questions

Hi guys and gals,

I've been told that my order for a Celestron C6-SGT could take almost two months before delivery due to the distributor out of stock. One of the alternatives that was offered was a Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS on an EQ5 goto. I originally ruled this out as it was not as portable as the C6, and could give me a bit of a headache storing it when not in use, but now I'm having second thoughts.

One thing I liked about the EQ5 drive was how quiet it was compared to the SE6 in the showroom, and having watched some videos of the C6-SGT slewing on youtube this too sounds loud with gear meshing noise.

Given my predicament, would it be worth waiting for the C6-SGT or look at canceling the order and re-ordering the 200PDS. My guess is that with an F5 tube the Explorer would also be better all rounder for planets and DSO ?

I store mime outside in a under stairs shed. It really packs down quite small. ( see pic )

I do not have Go-to yet but was deciding if i should add to my eq5 mount goto or buy the Celestron CG5.

Like you after looking at youtube videos and hearing people opinions next week I am buying the upgrade kit for the EQ5

Hope this helps

post-21849-133877522606_thumb.jpg

Looks good, and that should fit in the cupboard under the stairs. I've been searching and watching lots of EQ5 videos on youtube and whilst they appear quiet when running some seem to suffer from a lot of gear noise at the start and end of a track

for example.

I think I'll give Green Witch a call in the morning and see if they have stock of the Explorer - seeing yours packed down like that was just what I needed - thanks

Archived