Newcomer to Astro-Photography

Hi all.

1/ Thanks for all the great advice so far.

2/ I have a Celestron CPC 9.25 and am interested in taking photos and having them appear on my laptop asap. I know that I dont have an EQ mount so my exposure time will be limited severely. What is my best option. I am not expecting much maybe jupiter, orions nebula and andromeda (a globular cluster would be great!). My budget is about £250 but I would apreciate all advice.

Many thanks

Anth

Have you thought about photographing the Moon? Nice and bright so you can use short exposures and not have to worry about tracking.

At the moment you could buy a Canon 1000D body for about £300 new (or less second hand!) but the price rises and falls so keep an eye open! I keep an eye on prices here:

Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear

The other option, still with the Moon, would be to get a webcam from somewhere like Morgan computers - you will need it "flashed" and also a nosepiece and ir/uv filter - all for around £30. Some free software - sharpcap to get your images and then registax or Avistack and you are away!!

I hear the cpc 925 takes good pics. and with a webcam you will get photo's of the moon and planets. but to take pics of dso's you are going to need an eq wedge CPC GPS Series - Celestron Heavy Duty Wedge you may also need a focal reducer Reducers/Flatteners - Celestron f6.3 Focal Reducer you may be able to get the wedge second hand

Archived