NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Storage

Hi Pat.

Much of my kit is left permanently in a wooden shed (posh name observatory).

Scope kit as you are I am sure aware suffers condensation in use, and may get some again in storage. Electronics hates condensation. Shiny metal bits lose their shine.

Given that you would like to remove & prevent condensation, there are options. I would recommend running a mains supply to your shed. A small fan heater will warm things up and moving air helps evaporate condensation. Just leave it running for an hour or so on a timer after an observing session. Run it anytime when things look a bit damp. The pennies on electricity are a lot cheaper than the potential damage.

In my shed, I leave the electronics & drives powered most of the time if it is damp. After observing I go around the optical bits with a hair dryer.

I'm sure you will gets lots of good advice from others.

By the way. Elf & safety. Outdoor electric. RCD on shed supply, sockets out of damp, blah blah. Can be done just take care.

David.

Archived