Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - 16th January 2011

dweller25

Amazingly the heavy rain stopped and the skies cleared tonight so I went out for a quick look at Jupiter at 7:30PM.

Jupiter is rapidly descending into the West now and at only 19 degrees above the horizon I could not see much detail - what I did see took a long time to come as constant turbulence affected the view.

The SEB looks like a solid belt now but is not parallel with the NEB.

There were a couple of arch formations between the NEB and SEB, one of which was quite prominent.

Could not make out any detail at all in the North polar region.

Drawn using a Takahashi FS128 at x149, 19:45UT.

Seeing was III/IV.

post-13701-133877518758_thumb.jpg

Nice one David. Another great sketch and observation. The angled SEB is interesting. I wonder if this is a sort of cross-over point between darker material on the southern side of the SEB stepping down to the northern side of the SEB, as I think was noted by other people last month.

I havn't viewed Jupiter for a whole month now :)

Edit: I've just looked at Freddy's images of Jupiter in the imaging section. He has this same cross-over point near the CM on his 15 Jan images, giving the belt the angled appearance.

Archived