Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with switching on light box automatically

I'm working to automate my setup and can now virtually switch on observatory, roll back the roof and start imaging. However the one part I've yet to sort is taking flat frames. Is there an easy way to switch on a light box (actually a EL panel) from a PC.

I use CCD Commander (can't recommend it enough!!) to do the master control and that has the ability to run external programs or VB scripts so would need something to interface with that.

I know you can use the x10 automation system however it could cost me £200 or more to switch on the El panel. There must be a cheaper option! (I don't mind DIY'ing it)

Rob

Just bought the 8 relay version (£33) from Ecrater. Hopefully my programming is up to it. This could be an cheap and simple solution to switching on equipment in an observatory (possible even to automate the roof).

Rob:)

Billy,

Its the USB/serial version. Whilst I only need to switch the EL panel on/off at the moment the 8 relay would allow for expansion (putting on mount/ roof etc). CCD Commander will run either VB script or a simple exe/com file. Hopefully I can hash the coding together with the help files.

I plan to hang the panel from the wall of the obsey and then slew to it, run a 'switch on' code/program, take the flat frames then run a 'switch off' piece of code/program. All that can be automated from within CCD Commander using the standard actions.

I post some more info once I've had a chance to play.

Rob

Archived