Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is this in my image?

cgarry

Last night I got a chance to quickly try my new 450D camera out with my scope, just because I had never done it before really. One of my 1 minute subs had something streaking across it, but I am not sure what it is. Stellarium did not show any satellites at that time and it does not look like a plane. It could be a meteor but I am unsure what the bright flashes along the trail are.

So any ideas?

The image with the object:

post-21918-133877518406_thumb.jpg

A clean sub for comparison:

post-21918-133877518439_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

To have gone through the whole frame within on expsoure, it would have to be very close to the Earth and most definately in an orbit. If it's not a sateliite that's recognised in stellarium programs then it's probably a large piece of space junk that's rotating in its orbit, and the bright flashes along the line are where the sunlight reflects more strongly from a rotating object.

I have seen some frames in deep-sky images that show something trailing within the frame, but I mean tiny movements over the course of an hour or so. Those are more likely to have been asteroids or meteors.

Archived