What would you do?

I'm in a bit of a dilema. Been considering a purchase of Helios Quantum 4 25x100 bino's and mount which would cost £355 :).

I also would like to buy an APO e.g...equinox 100 or 120.

No way can afford both but seeing as it's pay day soon i could buy the Helios then or wait a few month's for the APO purchase :evil6:.

Really cant make my mind up, both excellent pieces of kit, just which one to get??

Any suggestion's??

Scope.

More flexibility and I would say the 25x100 binoculars would be no more transportable then the scope. They are not holdable so will again need a substantial tripod.

Other then a possibly wider field of view I cannot see that binoculars hold any other advantage.

25x although nice is fixed and not that great, even Jupiter would still be a small disk of no detail. Orion nebula tiny.

25x although nice is fixed and not that great, even Jupiter would still be a small disk of no detail. Orion nebula tiny.

That is one of my concern's is the mag is fixed !!

That's the main reason for holdin out for the scope.

My concern would be the fixed magnification and the fact that a set of 25x100 binoculars must weigh as much or more then a 100mm scope anyway.

So still need a substantial tripod on which to use them.

Stick a 32mm eyepiece in an evostar 100 and you still have a fair field of view for clusters. Stick an 8mm in and you can see detail.

I have some 20x binoculars around and the moon is nice in them, doesn't fill the FoV however, but I cannot get in to a lunar feature that I can with a 100mm scope at 80x or 100x.

Hi Ian - I agree with the above for the reasons stated. The appo will be much more flexible and you will take a while getting to know it anyway - so the binocs can wait - or you might decide to get a few superior quality ep's instead by the time you've saved up :)

Thanks for the responses guys now my other problem is

which one. I like the look of the 100ED and the 120ED

but can i justify the extra £500 for the bigger model.

It is for visual only (for now) so would i see a significant

difference between the two?

I don't think anyone can justify the extra expenditure for you - only you know how much you can afford and I've never seen a formula to place a £ value on extra light gathering and resolution which the additional 20mm will give you.

If you plan to use the EQ3 mount you might be better with the ED100 - I don't think an ED120 would be entirely comfortable on one.

£500 would buy you a 10" dobsonian which will out perform both scopes of course :)

Archived