Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carrying Cases

Hi.

Could anyone tell me the best place to buy a decent, hard carrying case please. I know that there are lots on line but really dont want to pay the rediculous prices ( most of them cost more than my actual scope did ). I would need a case approx 30" x 12" x 12".

Really need this as most of my observing will be done in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales which means transporting my gear for approx 30mins each time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry just realised should have put this in Equipment Advice .

thanks, Martin

Hi Martin, how about a DIY case ? Then you can make it the exact size

for your requirements, and save some money.

Thin plywood, fixed to timber corner battens, with some chunky foam inside,

and some metal corner covers. I've made one for a 6" F4 reflector, was pleased

with the result.

HTH, Ed.

I was going to suggest pelican case, but they aren't cheap. Depending on how your scope was originally packaged, you can try looking for a suitcase and use the foam that came with your scope.

I used to put a LX10 in a suitcase and stuffed it with sleeping bags for padding.

You may want to have a look at flight cases for musical instruments and audio equipment as they tend to be rock solid. I found this one, which looks big enough to be useful and could be easily customised and seems a good price at £75: Large industrial flight case with wheels 122x60x30cm on eBay (end time 03-Feb-11 07:14:22 GMT)

Archived