NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Apature and stars?

I've recently ordered a 10" Dob to compliment my 4.5 inch, and I was thinking one of the things I would do first is find an object to compare what I can see with both, and was wondering what would be a good solid test to see the difference? Would stars look a tiny bit bigger? Or should I go for something like say a star cluster, or nebula?

Stars will (or should) always look like pinpoints, even though the largest scope. I find globular clusters really show the impact that increased aperture can have so I'd suggest M13 in Hercules would be a good test. You should see (light pollution allowing) more of M42 and, if the conditions are good and the scope well collimated, you should be able to see the fainter E & F components of the Trapezium group within M42.

You will see more stars in open clusters and more detail on the planets, again conditions allowing.

Yup I'm with John on clusters and M13 is a good example. The extra aperture will be adequately demonstrated by comparing the number of stars you can resolve. You won't have to count them - but you'll deffo see them :)

Archived