Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back to refractor / reflector - help needed!

Hi again, more help needed, I'm afraid!

As per my previous threads, I am torn between reflector and refractor scopes. I have been offered a choice of reasonable deals second hand and I want to get some opinions on them, please...

Vixen GP2 mount modded with EQ6 2" s/steel tripod

plus either

Orion Optics 200mm f6 deluxe Newt OR

SkyWatcher 120mm refractor Black Diamond edition

The price difference between the OTAs is low enough not to be a substantial factor.

Again, my preference is for DSOs with some planetary interest (especially from other family members, which I have to consider given funding!); I would like to get into imaging but realism has set in and I am happy to settle for short exposure imaging for now. My understanding is that the Orion has excellent optics and at f6 is a great general purpose scope and that the SW is likely to be built better with minimal CA for a non-APO. Is this about right?

Thanks again,

J.

Isn't the SW 120 Black Diamond the ED doublet apo? Or did they give that name to the achromat as well? If it is the ED120 apo it is a mighty fine large refractor. The thing about refractors is that they are plug and play, with no collimating to do before you start.

But the OO should be excellent as well. Are you happy about collimating? It has more aperture.

Both good.

Olly

Isn't the SW 120 Black Diamond the ED doublet apo? Or did they give that name to the achromat as well?

If it was, I'd have driven over there this evening with the cash in my hand :) Not - it's the achromatic but, by all accounts, a good one - fringing around the edge of big high contrast objects (planets, moon, etc.) but no apparent at all for anything else.

But the OO should be excellent as well. Are you happy about collimating? It has more aperture.

Yeah, don't mind putting a bit of effort in - in the compromise quality / cost / effort, I'll give on effort first.

Cheers,

J.

Archived